Monday, December 10, 2018

A Special Celebration




One of the many things that I have learned throughout the past few years in Haiti has been the amount of international policy and advocacy campaigns so many of us in the United States are unaware of. Or maybe, it is rather I was unaware and living under a rock. Either way, I have learned so much and have been able to become involved in my profession on a much deeper level than I ever did and probably would ever while working in the states. I think we kind of just get these blinders on that keep us focused on only what is directly in front us and shields us from the bigger picture.

Monday (December 3rd) was “International Day of Persons with Disabilities”. I will be starting with a little background on the what this day means prior to getting to the fun stuff, just bear with me, I promise it will be quick…

First off, prior to coming to Haiti, I had zero knowledge this day even existed. I had no clue that in 1992 the United Nations General Assembly declared December 3rd as the annual observance of the “International Day of Persons with Disabilities”, which I will refer to as IDPD throughout this blog post. I’ll be honest in saying I knew nothing about the UN in general let alone all the entities that the UN encompasses. International Day of Persons with Disabilities aims to “promote the rights and well-being of persons with disabilities in all spheres of society and development, and to increase awareness of the situation of persons with disabilities in every aspect of political, social, economic and cultural life”. Whew. A lot of powerful statements in one sentence and brings joy to my heart.

Each year a theme is established and the theme for 2018 is “Empowering persons with disabilities and ensuring inclusiveness and equality”.  I feel like this theme can be implied to my entire time in Haiti so far. It is my daily life – advocating for and empowering those impacted by special needs and disabilities. The focus and goal of the therapy clinic, special needs classrooms, and other special needs programs at Respire are exactly stated in the theme of IDPD this year. 

So how did Respire celebrate this important day?! Hosting a party of course! A couple of months ago the 4 therapy staff members requested to meet with me. They appeared very serious initially and of course I immediately though “Oh gosh, are they all quitting?” Ha! The way my brain works is comical sometimes. No, they were not quitting nor did they have any issues to discuss. Rather, they wanted to plan an event for December 3rd to celebrate IDPD. My answer was of course an immediate “yes”. The 4 staff collaborated with the teachers in the special needs classrooms and the mental health staff and planned an amazing event.

As the weeks leading up to December 3rd were full of protests and blocked roads, it was a question as to how December 3rd would play out. Nothing was planned for the day so I was sure the event would be amazing. It was planned for a 10am start time. Around 9:30, I was a tad worried that the event would be a flop due to traffic issues in a few areas…including areas that the therapy staff travels from. Luckily, by 9:45 all staff were accounted for and a few more attendees had arrived. Of course, the event began 30 minutes late; however I consider that good, as it is common here to start things an hour or more late. 

The event consisted of deep prayer, praising the Lord, recognition of a few families, and a whole lot of fun provided by the students in the special needs classrooms. Each student had a role in the program. Bible verses, poems, and prayers were recited. A group of 5 students danced their way into the hearts of every person in the crowd. Witnessing the crowd stand and cheer for these amazing students was purely heart warming. To see them celebrated for them, simply, being themselves was awesome.

As I watched each piece of this event unfold, tears filled my eyes while joy flooded my heart. The deep worship and deep gratitude for our Lord was evident in the crowd. Eyes closed, voices loud, hands in the air. This crowd was full of just a tiny portion of the individuals who have walked through the threshold of the therapy room over the past few years. Each individual sitting in that room has been given hope and unconditional love because God placed an accessible therapy program into their life. I sat and wondered, “Wow. How is this part of my life? How are these amazing people part of my story?” Disbelief overtook every inch of me. Tears filled my eyes once again as I sat and just simply said “thank you God for this journey”.

God has definitely blessed me with an amazing responsibility to fight for all those sitting in that crowd, those in the past, and those yet to come. I often find myself talking with God and asking him, “am I really the right one for this job” or “am I doing this good enough”? God, how am I, this broken and beaten soul, written into the story of all these individuals that were once strangers, but now are my friends who feel more like family. While I was watching the celebration, I felt complete peace within my soul as God gently whispered to me, “you are already enough…as long as you keep your focus on me, I will do the rest”. Truth. I love when God takes me out of my flesh, grounds me and brings me right back to Him.

It was then I looked at everyone sitting there cheering, laughing, and clapping that I fully realized the impact the therapy program has had. Those who were smiling and cheerful were once solemn and unhappy. Those who were laughing were once only crying. Those who were holding or dancing with their child were once sitting on the other side of the room away from their child. The kids who were sitting and standing were once lying on their back all day long. The kids running from their parents were once only able to sit next to their parents. Those who were raising both arms high in the air praising the good Lord were once only able to raise one arm. Those who walked into the room smiling and waving, were once fearful to walk in front of a crowd because of a limp they developed after a stroke. Those who were showing off their kids in front of over a 100 people were once hiding their child under a blanket as they carried them so the world did not see.

So many stories came in like flood waters rushing through a broken dam. Stories of God’s mercy and grace. Stories of overcoming hopelessness and fear. Stories of redemption. Stories of triumph. Stories of struggle. Stories of sadness and deep pain. Stories of death. Stories of survival. So many stories.

We sat in celebration of people who are told by their culture and community that they are no good. A culture that says they are not worthy of celebration. A culture that says they are non-human. But God. God is changing the culture. God is changing their communities. He never wastes a hurt. He never wastes a pain. He never wastes a story of abuse. He never wastes a story of abandonment. He never wastes a story. He uses all for His good and while sitting in that room…we witnessed His good works.

Patients and students are already asking when the next party is going to be. It was definitely a good day of celebrating many amazing people who all hold a very special place in my heart!








No comments:

Post a Comment